Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Crayon Wreath Tutorial

Hey yall! Natalie here :)

I wanted to share a post with you guys that I orignally wrote for April. I thought you guys might enjoy it, too!

How many of you have pinned the crayon wreaths?
It was one of the first things I pinned, and I desparately wanted to make one! So....I did!

It was really easy. Here are the materials needed:
*Crayons (I used a 64 pack of Crayolas)
*Hot glue
*2 different sized embroidery hoops. I can't remember the exact sizes I bought, but it doesn't really matter. You just need 2 different sized hoops, where one can fit inside the other.
*Ribbon
*Scissors
*White acrylic paint
*Paintbrush
*Wood letters
*Assorted colors acrylic paint

Ready for these easy steps???

1. Put the smaller hoop inside the larger hoop. Keep the spacing the same all the way around the hoop. I painted both of my hoops white, but you could definitely keep it the natural wood color.
2. Arrange the crayons on the hoop...have fun with it! I put mine all with the label facing up and did all the colors, but you could totally just pick your favorite colors or do some type of pattern.


3. Start gluing! Glue one crayon at a time, so that you can keep your spacing somewhat even. Also, don't use too much glue, or it will just melt the wax.



4. Wrap the ribbon around a couple of crayons at the top and glue.

5. Paint the wooden letters however you like, and glue them on.

Simple, right? I made these as gifts for a couple of teachers, and I love the way they turned out!




I used letters to represent their last names, and I found those little wooden apple cutouts at Hobby Lobby. I just painted them, then wrote their names inside with a sharpie.

Hope you guys are inspired to go make your own! I probably spent less than $20 on the materials for all 3 wreaths, so it was pretty inexpensive to make!

When you get a second, come on over and check out my blog :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that you did this tutorial because I tried it and I failed... MISERABLY. You make it seem so simple! But you definitely gave tips that I didn't think of. Great job.

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your 'pinteresting' comments :)