Friday, June 22, 2012

Pinterest...The "Write" Way!

Happy Weekend All!
I am so excited to be here on Endless Pinabilities!! Let me introduce myself! Some of you know may know me already! My name is Lisa from Learning Is Something To Treasure.
I have been teaching 1st grade for 7 years in Florida. I absolutely love teaching 6 & 7 year olds & being a part of the amazing strides that they make throughout the year! I am so excited to be one of the authors for this blog, because I have SO many pins to share with you! Some may say I am a pinaholic...and I would have to completely agree with them. Pinterest has been an inspiration to my teaching career, as I know it has to many of you. As I looked through my boards to figure out what to talk about, one thing stuck out for me...Writing!
I don't know about you, but writing is such an essential, yet difficult subject to teach. I am always looking for motivating and captivating ways to teach it in my classroom. It is so integral that we incorporate writing into our classroom on a daily basis as early as possible. I wanted to share some writing inspired pins that I have used or look forward to using with my students next year!
First, I think it is essential for a rubric to be established (at any age) of what our students' writing is expected to look like. It's important to set a high standard for writing. This is one of my favorite pins which provides students with a visual scale to rate their writing:
Also, students should have easy access to a portable word wall with sight words and sentence conventions to view while they are working on daily writing. I think this is a perfect example!
One thing that I notice with my students and probably at any age is the occasional "writer's block". Therefore, I feel it is important to have ideas that my students can refer to at any time to spark some inspiration. This is a great board that I found on pinterest to do just that:
With that being said, anchor charts have been a big help in my classroom with organizing our thoughts on writing. Here are a few of my favorite writing anchor chart pins:

I also love using thinking maps with my students. It's a very effective way to integrate multiple subjects together. I feel that it helps students understand a concept even more by using thinking maps to organize their thoughts and knowledge on a subject and then write about it.
 
During and after the writing process, students should be aware of following the rules of writing. This chart is a great visual reminder for students to check over their writing conventions.
 This is also another wonderful example of using your "writer's eyes" to check over your writing. This can be adapted to expectations at any grade level!
Well there you have it! I hope you found some of these writing related pins helpful to you and your classroom. Thanks to Tanja for setting up this fantastic resource for all of us to share!
Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa,
    First the same school, now the same blog . . . how funny is that. Hope you're having a great summer vacation.
    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy! I hope your summer is off to a good start too! It's been a crazy one so far over here so far but it's starting to wind down a bit. :)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Everything in one place. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your 'pinteresting' comments :)