Monday, June 18, 2012

DIY Plates

This is really fitting since yesterday was Father's Day. My dad LOVES to BBQ, well actually Traeger..it's like a BBQ but it also allows you to smoke the food too. You can make ANYTHING on the Traeger. I had a friend make cookies! Of course she didn't smoke it lol.

He's always using a plate to put the chicken, salmon, or whatever he's cooking on. Usually it's chicken though, since that's his thing in the BBQ competition.

I saw this fun and easy project on Pinterest I'd been wanting to try. Can I say again how easy it was? Easy!

This is the project that inspired my craft:

Courtesy Indulgy  via Karen via Pinterest


Well I had to make it less girly, so I didn't do cursive. And I didn't write a story/poem/song. But that would be fun! Instead, I used grilling/cooking terms specific for my dad.

Frame from The 3 AM Teacher

Simple materials right? I already had a sharpie. And an oven...imagine that lol :) So I just bought a cheapo $1 plate.



Then I thought about the words I wanted to write and where. I decided to just go around the border.



Then I also had a blue sharpie and used it to make those blue accent dots. Hmm maybe this is a good excuse to go buy a rainbow sharpie pack. Anyway, pop in the oven at 150 degrees for 30 minutes. I've also seen info for 30 minutes at 350. 


My final project! 

My words include chicken, chef, smoke, flame, fish, cook..

Simple project, fun, and cheap! I could see doing one for birthdays, Christmas, any potluck or gathering really. Christmas I could put Christmas song titles, gatherings I could put 'friends', 'food', 'talk'... oh the possibilities are endless. Good thing the plates are only $1 :)

I also linked this up to Tara at 4th Grade Frolics Monday Made It Linky.


Photobucket





8 comments:

  1. That turned out awesome! Did you bake it at 150? No problems then? And what type of material was your plate made out of? Great job!!

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I baked at 150 and it seems fine. Just a plate form the Dollar Tree. I might experiment more with a higher temp.

      Delete
    2. Actually my oven only goes to 175 so I baked at 175.

      Delete
  2. My mind is reeling with the possibilities! Thanks for the great idea!

    Heather
    http://peacocksandpenguins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Endless possibilities :) Or should I say pinabilities? Lol :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea. I had that pinned too and couldn't decide what I wanted to write on a plate. I will have to try it out sometime :) Thanks for sharing.

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this and the kitchen ended up filling up with smoke! I used Sharpies and a plate from the dollar store and baked it at 350 for 30 minutes, when I discovered the smoke, it had been 20 minutes. Not sure what went wrong, wondering if you could help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind, I realized what I did wrong. I placed it on wax paper. Silly me.

      Delete

Thanks for your 'pinteresting' comments :)